1) What is college athletic recruiting?
College athletic recruiting is a process that is available only to sports persons interested in playing varsity level sports in college and representing the college for competitions against other colleges. The recruiting process is a process whereby coaches assess the athletic and academic ability of viable candidates and select them to be a part of their teams. Once coaches commit to athletes joining their team, admission into the college becomes easier and virtually guaranteed.
2) What is NCAA and what is the difference between Division 1, 2, and 3 colleges?
3) How is it different to apply to U.S. colleges as an athlete versus as a regular student?
|Academic Route||Sports Route|
|Decision-maker for Admissions||University Admissions Department||College Coaches of the respective sports|
|Application Process||Students begin the application process in the beginning of Grade 12||Student-Athletes begin the “sports version” of the application in Grade 10 by initiating contact with College Coaches|
|University Acceptance||End of Grade 12||Beginning of Grade 12, informal “verbal commitments” issued during Grade 11|
|Number of Applications||The typical Student submits an application to 10 Universities, and evaluates the successful applications||Every Student-Athlete submits 1 application to the University that has pre-accepted – the application process serves as a formality|
|Requirements for Application||Requirements for the University application – personal statement essays, academic transcripts||Requirements for the University application, PLUS Sports resume, recruiting video etc.|
|Decision-making Point||University academic ranking/reputation.||University academic ranking/reputations VS. Sports team ranking/reputations.|
|Academic requirements (SAT, ACT, GPA)||Must meet required minimum – no exceptions||Lowered academic requirements for Student-Athletes, as low as1,200 for SAT, 24 for ACT, and 2.8 GPA.|
|Acceptance Rate||7-14% for academically reputable universities. Up to 90% for lesser ranked universities.||95%, predetermined based on verbal offers already received, but only approximately 10% of a university class is made up of Student-Athletes.|
4) What is covered in AddedSport’s recruiting services?
5) When should I be starting the recruiting process?
The recruiting process should ideally be started in the middle of Grade 10.
6) Can AddedSport help me with more than just college recruiting?
Yes, absolutely! In fact, AddedSport believes in holistic development of an athlete. We work with many young talented juniors much before the Class 11 on aspects of players development and mentoring as well as college exposure. Here are the ways we have been helping our juniors:
7) Can I be a recruited athlete in Canada, UK or Australia?
U.S. is the only county in the world that has such a strong college athletics presence and recruitment and offers athletic scholarships to its Student-Athletes. No other country allows you to be a full time athlete as well as a full time student.
8) What are the benefits of being a college athlete?
9) What are the dos or don’ts of recruiting and contacting coaches?
To begin with, one should not wait too long before starting the initial process of college search and identification, and contacting coaches. Below are some of the ways to contact coaches and build relationships:
*The above rules are based on NCAA Division 1 recruitment. Division 2 and 3, and NAIA have different rules, differing across different sports as well.
**An AddedSport Recruiting Guide is available to all of our clients. If you do not have a relationship with us, our AddedSport Recruiting Guide can be purchased.
10) How would an AddedSport mentor be different than my academic counselor at school?
|Services Provided||Traditional Counseling||AddedSport Counseling|
– University Identification
– Essays and Applications
– Recommendation Letters
– Interview Preparation
– On and Off Court Guidance
– Post-Competition Analysis
– Local Tournament Support
– Video Sessions and Review
|Direct College Coach Contact
– Regular Skype/Phone Calls
– Marketing the Athlete
– AddedSport Coach Database
|Athletic Marketing Material
– Recruiting Video
– Sports Resume and Cover Letter
|Scheduling College Recruiting Visits and Summer Tournaments||✖||✔|
11) Where can I get additional more information about college recruiting requirements?
Useful Standardized Testing Links
Did not find your question here? Feel free to contact us and submit your query. We will get back to you within 24 hours.